Thursday 24 March 2011

New skills - Decoupage

On Saturday I went to the Stitch and Craft show in Kensington, London. I wasn't too sure what to expect from it, but it was amazing. There was so many inspiring stands with lots of lovely craft materials and ideas. I thought that I would share my purchases with you along the way when I have projects in which to use them. I've started with decoupage. I'd never heard of this before, but it's "the art of decorating an object by gluing coloured paper cut outs on it" - thanks Wikipedia

It can be done on pretty much anything from what I understand and can look very beautiful


So I thought I would give it a go. I bought a brush, some glue, a couple of sheets of the special paper and a nice box to decorate.

You need to brush glue onto the surface that you want to put the paper on, and then brush glue over the paper once you've put it in place.


I did this in small sections along the box until it was finished. Ta da!




I'm fairly pleased with this as a first attempt. I've realised that you have to be really careful where you put the joins of the paper as they can be seen more clearly than I thought. Depending on what paper you're using it might be really important to ensure the patten is continued.

I might use this as a jewellery box, but it does have hooks on the back so I might decide later on to frame something in it and hang it up.

Any questions about decoupage, please feel free to ask me - i'll try my best to answer them. Or if you have any tips for a new beginner, I'd love to hear them.

I hope you are all having a good week.

Take care,
Kirstin xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment